Friday 1 January 2016

A letter to Myself

Earlier this year, I realised that whatever I write goes on facebook, but never my blog. So I decided to share a reflection I had made on New Year's Eve, on the past year.

*****

Every year brings its share of ups, downs, and moments of epiphany- always starting with the over ambitious resolutions that we set (but seldom accomplish) - right? Well, it may be true for some, false for others.
2015 has been an unforgettable journey of constant change, with many new challenges and opportunities that came my way. Upon my reflection on the past year, I have concluded that I have undergone the most changes of my life, this year.
What could be more painful than losing a loved one? The void left by my grandfather is one that can never be filled again. The laughter in our talks and the pleasure in our walks can never be replaced, and the wounds from are still fresh. Every time I walk into our house in chennai, I miss him sitting out on the verandah reading a newspaper and waving to me from afar. But his parting taught me so much, and made me a more understanding person. Now the importance of time and spending it with the people you love is integral to my every move.
Moving on, this year I started high school, I moved countries, I performed in my first concert, Barcelona won 5 trophies- just some of the major changes / happenings in my life this year. But each of these changes have taught me something , making me a new and improved person.
Performing my first concert not only made my family and I proud, but also fired up my passion for Carnatic music and preserving my culture with great respect. I now will definitely pursue music as a passion, parallel to what I pursue as my career. It was an amazing feeling to have finally done a feat that I had worked towards for 10 years, a feat that I prepared hard for the last 6 months. It took great shape, and has laid the foundation for many such concerts to come.
Moving countries was an especially hard phase- it was something I had done almost 10 years ago with no memory of the challenge in leaving behind people you spent so much time with. Singapore was my home for 9.5 years , and most of my friendships and memories had their roots in SG. With the sudden news of moving, I had to abruptly leave my old friends behind, while making new ones in the process. It taught me that distance should never be the reason for divide between friends, and it also revealed my true friends from the temporary ones.
Well, all in all this year has helped me grow as an individual and has shaped me for a much MUCH better year ahead. I had so many falls, but so many amazing friends and family helped me get up on the way, and I ended the year on a high. I just want to thank every single person who has been a part of this journey of mine- whether you were just that person who smiled at me in the corridor, or family who held my hand the whole way. 2015: the year of great change, and foundation for progress.
I hope that all the events that took place this year are left carefully in memory, leading the way to a more successful and experience filled year- not only for me, but for everyone one of you who feels the same way. Good luck to everyone in 2016!

Do not regret the past, and do not plan too hard for the future, just live in the moment and live it well.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment